Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Spiritual Experience

Overlooking the Marsh
Location: Sea Island, Ga
Distance: 5.5 miles
Temperature: 45 degrees

I took the past two days off of running. I didn't feel like running outside in the cold weather and I didn't want to run inside. I really want to enjoy running, so I've told myself that when I don't feel like doing it, I shouldn't force myself.
Today I ran outside. I started out as the sun was setting and ended in the dark. I felt great. The first thing that I love about running in the dark is that I feel as though no one can see me. I'm all alone, and I can just "be". As I was thinking about no one being able to see me, I started to think about C.S. Lewis' quote, "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." As I glided through the night, all I wanted was to be a "soul". I want to see and believe through the eyes of my heart and not the eyes of my flesh. I constantly find myself controlled by my outside eyes. This brings me to the second thing that I love about running in the dark, which is that I get a glimpse of what it is like to actually be a soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment